My new favorite cliche: The days are long, the years are short. I can't think of a better saying to sum up the experience of parenting (after all, cliches are cliches for a reason). Here is my attempt to remember these long days as the years fly by.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Beach!
When I decided not to send Maia to camp this summer, I thought we'd probably get to the beach about three times a week, have one day for playing at home/playdates, and one day for errands. Maia has been out of school since June 10. Today was our second trip to the beach. (For the record, I also thought I was going to go workout at the Y every morning before we did our beach trips, play dates, etc. Clearly, I am delusional.) Anyhow, we didn't have any plans for the day and it was both gorgeous and hot so off we went...
Our first stop was to pick up a beach chair for Mommy. I've debated buying one for years, but have never been able to sit still long enough while we're beaching it to reapply my sunscreen let alone read or relax. Maia and Cec are FINALLY old enough that they will happily play in the sand for up to 1/2 an hour while I read Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly. So, I bought the chair. And then it was on to the beach.
We arrived just before 11, right when it was nearly filling up in the parking lot. Luckily the beach is really big and there was plenty of space for all our "equipment." We set up our towels and umbrella and chair and dumped out ALLLLL of our sand toys, and then ran down to the water. Maia was in heaven. She swam and splashed and played and laughed and made me a very happy Mommy. (Just two years ago it was a struggle to get her within 25 feet of the ocean. Woo woo woo!) Cecily was equally happy, doing everything that her big sister did on a much smaller scale. (Both girls went under water too many times to count!)
We spent the rest of the day swimming, playing in the sand, exploring the tide pools, eating Italian ice, reading, and just enjoying the gorgeous day and ocean and... we left a little after 4pm, a serious family record!, and headed home exhausted and very happy. We can't wait to do it again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment