And so, it begins... Yesterday morning I was informed by my 2 and a 1/2 year old that Curious George on skis "isn't funny, he's cool. Like sharks are cool." How many times am I going to hear that in my lifetime?! We were on yet another sick supply run, this time to Best Buy. It was our third day of having to cancel all our fun activities and play dates, and we were going a little stir crazy. Normally, Daddy and I don't allow Maia to watch tv, with a few exceptions: the Patriots, the occasional rainy afternoon, and car trips that are longer than 2 hours. We don't think it's good for kids, and it's hard to find any reason why they should or need to watch it. This week, however, brought another exception: when Mommy loses her voice. Colds don't normally knock me out the way this one did. But being pregnant, there's really not much one can take for relief. Already having pregnancy insomnia, you can imagine what the hacking cough did for my ability to rest and recuperate. And thus, when I woke up yesterday morning, I couldn't speak. I'm not sure what Maia made of my whispering to her, but it didn't seem to bother her at all. And she was delighted when I told her we were going to pick out a special movie just for her.
She turns right into her Daddy's little girl when we enter Best Buy: toys, toys, toys! Beautiful tvs at every turn, fabulous computers, cameras, movies! I can't wait for the day when I come home to find our electronics completely updated and Maia and Daddy sitting happily side-by-side hiding the receipts from me. Anyhow, we perused the kid-friendly movie section and selected... Curious George, a series on PBS. Alright I thought, good choice! And that's when the coolness factor became part of our ongoing dialogue.
We managed to have a great time playing with the parachute when we got home, saving CG for more desperate moments. I made a short video of Maia and Daddy playing with the parachute last weekend (though blogger won't let me post it! argh, technology) that Maia loves to watch. Anytime we pass by the computer, she begs to see it. By Thursday, I noticed she was anticipating what they were going to do next. And yesterday, she wanted to completely recreate it with me. We had a great time, but it just wasn't the same without Daddy's magic.
Nap time was spent in the car, what can you do?! We did watch Curious George on skis when we got home. Maia was thrilled... and became even more thrilled when Daddy showed up hours earlier than she expected. It was a long week, and we needed him! We later had a lovely dinner, complete with Maia moving the Valentine's Day flowers to various locations so that we could all enjoy them.

No comments:
Post a Comment