Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mom and Dad go on vacation

In April 2012 Mom and Dad decided to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary a few months early by jetting off to St. John... without the kids! We originally planned to go to Quebec City, but somehow a tropical island caught our attention and sounded more appealing. Our departure was not without its excitement...

Exactly a week before we were scheduled to leave, Daddy came home from work with intense stomach pains. I assumed it was the stomach bug I'd had about a week earlier, and happily left him roiling in bed to go to a gathering of friends across town. A few hours later one of Daddy's friends found me and instructed me to call Daddy right away. On the phone, he shared that he was pretty sure it was appendicitis and was heading to the ER. Oops! Leaving the party and the kids in the host's capable hands, I rushed to the hospital where at midnight the surgeon removed Daddy's appendix. In pre-op Daddy was very clear, "I don't care what you take out of me, but I am getting on that plane and going on that vacation!" The surgeon, having young children of his own, assured us that Daddy would be in perfect condition for a flight or two followed by a week of sitting on the beach.  


-The owner of the lovely house we rented surprised us with these lovely painted glasses.


-First morning on the beach






 -Visting the sugar plantation














-A hike down to a beautiful beach where we saw tons of deer, some crazy trees like the "monkey-no-climb" below, and I saw a stingray jump out of the water much to Daddy's jealousy. 










































-We went for a fabulous day sail on a catamaran. We started with snorkeling at a famous bay, and then visited Jost Van Dyke, hitting both Foxy's and the world famous Soggy Dollar. It ranks up there with one of the most fun days we've ever had.














































-We couldn't wait to get home and reunite with our amazing kids, but it was a fabulous week. Can't wait to go back. 








No comments: