Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bath Time

Maia loves taking baths.  She has lots of great toys, and she loves to pretend she's swimming, etc., in our big 'ol clawfoot tub.  Of course, if you inform her that she will be taking a bath (or a shower) she panics.  And not gentle, I don't really want to take a bath today panic.  This is full blown- tears, screaming, struggling.  

This was the case yesterday afternoon.  Maia has been potty trained for ages now.  But when she's really tired, she really doesn't want to go to the potty.  It often turns into a struggle and an argument.  I'm not sure what the "correct" way is to handle it.  I hate fighting her about it, but clearly, she needs to get to the potty when she needs to use the potty.  She was exhausted when she got home from school.  (Her school day ends at 11:30 am.  The school offers an extended care program from 11:30 -3, called Lunch Bunch.  The kids eat lunch from 11:30 - 12, play outside from 12 - 1, have rest time from 1 - 1:45, and play inside from 1:45 - 3.  Maia is in awe of the lunch bunchers and has begged and begged us to let her be one.  The school recently launched Stay and Play, a shorter version where the kids stay for lunch and outdoor playtime and then are picked up just before 1.  We signed Maia up to do this on Tuesdays, and she loves it.  It is quite literally the highlight of her week.  She's made new friends, and always comes home in a delighted mood.  Of course she also always comes home starving because she's too busy talking to actually eat her lunch!  But I digress.)  I could tell she needed to go potty, but she kept refusing.  She finally went, but made it to the bathroom a little too late.  We talked about how important it is to pay attention to what our body is telling us, etc., etc., and then I told her she and Cec would get to take a bath.  Here is Maia the first few minutes in the tub:

Cecily absolutely adores baths.  I think she would gladly take one several times a day if we would let her.  Sadly, her very dry skin prevents her from getting tub time as often as she'd like. Here's her first few minutes in the tub:
Maia realizing that she won't be burned by acid in the tub, and deciding to have a fabulous time:
Boats!
The saddest part for Cec is always the end.  Poor baby!

No comments: